Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Spare some time, spoil your parents!

I was given everything I ever needed by my parents. Education( never mind that it was the worst school in the town; they had no clue either), clothes, all the food I can eat, all the movies I wanted to watch, all those things that make our life worth living. And most importantly they gave me my freedom and space. In short they spoiled me (My English was spoilt by the aforementioned school though)

So now that I have grown up (physically at least) its time for me to repay my parents. I can give them whatever money I make, I can get them the new generation luxuries. Send them on a holiday trip to wherever they fancy. I have instead decided to just spoil them. That's what they would like more(and at this point that's all I can afford) There is a huge age gap between me and my parents because they had a late marriage. And I guess my father and mother took it seriously when Nehru said that our country is going to progress with the five year plans. There is exactly 5 years of gap between the 3 of us siblings. So I was born late as well. It doesn't matter now. I am a big boy now (more so on the waist)

All I want to do for them is what they did for me. It's a little too late to put them to the same school as mine (wish I could; then they will know why I hate my school life) but I can do all the other things they did for me. I want to drive them wherever they want to go. Wait for them outside when they have parties at their friends place and dad can't drive (and I can't drink). Take my mom shopping whenever she feels like. Make sure they don't have to travel by bus or walk at any time. Make them eat their medicines, make them meet the doctor. Make sure they sleep properly. Take them to the movies and buy them popcorn. Have a sumptuous dinner at a nice restaurant. Go out with them to the beach and watch my mom holding on to my hands when the wave comes up, just like I held on to hers some 20 years back. It feels good.


At a point of your life, your relationship with your parents goes into a reverse mode. You start taking care of them. You get worried when they are late in reaching home. You get worried when they are not feeling well. You become the caretaker and them the carefree children.


So what made me write all these goody stuff (other than to make me look good). A few days back I was teaching my mom how to use the mobile and internet. I was irritated at times when she could not understand simple things. I lost patience, raised my voice and my face looked like I lost hope. She never complained. She just smiled and said it takes time. She wrote down all that I told her. Next day, I got an SMS on my phone. "Hi how are you?" it was from my mom's number. She learned how to use it. She went a step further and started using my computer, connect to internet, find the railways website and checked the PNR status of her ticket. The pride she had in her face when she told me she did it alone. And I could not believe it. I know a lot of people do that. But for some one at her age who has never used a computer I thought that was one hell of an achievement. She was happy and that's all she wants. And i wonder how long she spent explaining the thousands of things that was new to me. Answering my never ending queries and doubts. And I couldnt do that properly even once. Well I will.


So I am going to go ahead and spoil them. Let my dad eat some oily food without worrying about his cholesterol level .Let my mom have her peanut candy without me reminding her about the sugar level. Let them live for themselves and have a great time. That's the least I could do for them. Cheers!!!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

really touchd my heart..n u did tht without ne trash senti stuff...beautiful man:)

silverine said...

What a beautiful post...funny yet touching!! Thanks to the person who gave me this link :)

N A R I YA L C H U T N E Y said...

"At a point of your life, your relationship with your parents goes into a reverse mode. You start taking care of them. You get worried when they are late in reaching home. You get worried when they are not feeling well. You become the caretaker and them the carefree children." .- How true.This is such a sweet Post :).

Mind Curry said...

thats really sweet manu.. very sweet.

pophabhi said...

Hats Off! What a post. Just awesome. You said it.

Jiby said...

manu, a blogger friend sent me the link to your blog. this post shows that you are a very good writer. it made me look back at the past, see the present, and wonder about my future with my parents. good stuff.

Hammy said...

:)

Lovely article... It makes me wonder about our future...

Right now, the parent-child role reverses partly because we have something to teach them... something that is difficult for them to learn... SMS, the internet, chatting... These things come more naturally to us than to them. So in part, we take up their old role of teacher and mentor... the same role they used to play, not so long ago... only, they taught us the albhabets, the multiplication tables, the quest for knowledge, and the way to cherish life.

I wonder... when we get old, what will the next generation teach us... what will perplex us in the next stage... and how much will we frustrate them with our slow learning curve?

hamishjoy.com

Shankar said...

wowww...great post. makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. reminds me of how much i love them.

Siddharth Chaudhari said...

Lovely! :)

Jive Talker said...

Well I saw this cos Silverine has a link to this on her blog. Anyways I think I just met a very very scarily similar other!!! Let me explain why. I love Rock & Metal and a lot else too. I love books (Wish they paid me to just listen to music and read:-()I have started bulging at the waist. I went to a school for emotionally disturbed teachers(My parents didnt know either) AND most importantly I understand exactly what you are talking about on this blog. However I haven't reached anywhere near you in terms of reversing roles with my parents. However I continue to strive...Your post almost brought tears to my eyes.( A little embarassed of course, cos we rivetheads don't cry, do we?)

ladyweirdo said...

the part whr u got angry at ur mom as she cudnt undrstand d techy stuf..it so reminded me of hw poorly i dealt with my mom too..quite a realization u gave me..thnks mate :-)
great writing skill..simple, yet elegant..easy to read, njoy n imagine..appreciable..

Hema said...

great articl..
reminds me sm othr articl,a story, where i happnd to read hw patinc our parents wer towards us, while v r not.
i too saw d same happiness, wen my dad sent his first mail to my eldr sis. & i'm so happy tht, i taught him hw to use intrnet :)

Meenakshi said...

abhi thats a wonderful write up...

i never knew you write..

great to discover your blog.

Anna said...

wow aby.. really touchin post man.. beautiful

purelymythoughts said...

Even my mom is a techie now ;) and she is so proud to say that. Excellent post. Felt like you were writing what I had in my mind about my parents.

Manu said...

hi nice one da :) .

Unknown said...

lovely post... very touching! couldn't help commenting on it

atoztoa said...

Really touched me... way to go...

Unknown said...

I vl love them more than wat i did yesterday...ts beautiful

Durga Nandan said...

Never thought of this angle. I think I ll spoil mine too. :)
Thanks a lot to the one who sent the link!